The name Dublin comes from the Irish word Dubhlinn, early Classical Irish Dubhlind/Duibhlind, dubh /d̪uβ/, alt.
/d̪uw/, alt /d̪u:/ meaning "black, dark", and lind /lʲiɲ[d̪ʲ] "pool", referring to a dark tidal pool.
The Dubhlinn lay where the Castle Garden is now located, opposite the Chester Beatty Library in Dublin Castle.
Táin Bó Cuailgne ("The Cattle Raid of Cooley") refers to Dublind rissa ratter Áth Cliath, meaning "Dublin, which is called Ath Cliath".
Beginning in the 9th and 10th century, there were two settlements which later became the modern Dublin.
The subsequent Scandinavian settlement centred on the River Poddle, a tributary of the Liffey in an area now known as Wood Quay.
The Dubhlinn was a small lake used to moor ships; the Poddle connected the lake with the Liffey.
This lake was covered during the early 18th century as the city grew.
Those without knowledge of Irish omitted the dot, spelling the name as Dublin.
Variations on the name are also found in traditionally Gaelic-speaking areas of Scotland (Gàidhealtachd, cognate with Irish Gaeltachta), such as An Linne Dhubh ("the black pool"), which is part of Loch Linnhe.
Following the partition of Ireland in 1922, Dublin became the capital of the Irish Free State, later renamed Ireland.
As of 2010, Dublin was listed by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network (Ga WC) as a global city, with a ranking of "Alpha-", which places it amongst the top thirty cities in the world.
The original pronunciation is preserved in the names for the city in other languages such as Old English Difelin, Old Norse Dyflin, modern Icelandic Dyflinn and modern Manx Divlyn as well as Welsh Dulyn.